- 4 medium beetroot (a mix of colours works well; see tips)
- 300g smoked mackerel fillets
- 3 tbsp raspberry vinegar or 2 tbsp raspberry glaze mixed with 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Small handful fresh dill, roughly chopped
- 50g blanched hazelnuts
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Wrap the beetroot, skins on, individually in foil, then roast for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely. Once cooled, peel the beetroot, then slice as thinly as possible – use a mandoline if you have one.
- .Arrange the beetroot slices on a large platter, then sprinkle over a pinch of salt and pepper. Flake the mackerel into mouthful-size pieces and arrange over the beetroot. Drizzle over the vinegar and sprinkle with the dill.
- Heat a dry frying pan over a high heat and, once hot, add the hazelnuts. Fry them, shaking the pan every few seconds, for just a minute or so. When you can smell the aroma of the toasting hazelnuts, they’ll be ready. Chop them roughly and scatter over the salad.